Las Vegas RV Trip

11.14.2012

Yes, that says RV! Arthur had a class in Vegas 2 weekends ago, so kicking & screaming (sarcasm) I agreed to go with him. While he sat in lectures I slept in then ventured to the strip for afternoon shopping. On Monday, we picked up a rental RV & headed for the mountains.
Make note here that neither of us have ever had any type of RV experience...EVER! But to my surprise, we enjoyed it & would consider doing it again. Note to parents: this would be a fantastic way to travel with kids because of the flexibility. Next time we will take AE.
Anyways, we drove to Sequoia National Park day 1 & walked the trail of 100 giants. It was unreal to see these massive trees in person. Oh, BTW.. I forgot my camera. So every picture is brought to you by iPhone. Really annoying I didn't have a wide angle to really capture to size of these trees.
RV's are pretty cheap to rent, & we did this trip pretty frugal if you don't include all the money we blew on gas. $4 a gallon in Cali wasn't ideal for our budget. We spent $80 on groceries for the week. It was amazing to pull over in the parks, cook lunch, & have such beautiful landscapes as a backdrop.
Day 2 we ventured up to Yosemite. AMAZING & beautiful. We even saw a little of their first snow.
Ok... Drive home.... Wow! This is where we almost killed each other. We drove back a different route... through the Nevada desert. You know those movies you see where they drive for miles & never see anyone. It's accurate! No one! Nothing! Surprisingly nice paved roads for such absent travelers. Needless to say, our cell phones didn't work = true bonding. I can't read a map. Not even the google map on my phone. I have to read or listen to the step by step directions. Well miss google lady doesn't service the Nevada desert area.
It's incomprehensible to Arthur why I cannot read it, so he's getting aggravated. I don't understand why he can't just look at it himself. When I drove (yes, once in a low population area), I read the google maps instructions & didn't bug him. Why can't men multitask & women read maps? Needless to say we were excited as we rolled on & saw the Vegas lights shortly after gaining service on our phones.
It was a great trip & we'd do it again. Maybe with a garmin or Tom-Tom. And we take our little love bug with us.

Traill of 100 giants

O look! A Ron Paul sign! Yay! 
Camping with the Wood crew. . . we were blessed with the convenience of wi-fi every night. 
Arthur standing on the fallen redwood. You really cannot grasp how large it was by this picture. 
Almost 10,000 ft. Wow! 

El Capitan in Yosemite
Finally. . . a blue dot. 
The middle of NOWHERE! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! We are so doing that next year. I wonder how long it would take to drive our RV to there??

Heather Wood said...

I'm not sure. I've never driven to Vegas, but the drive into the mountains took a good bit of time. I'm sure you know, but you have to drive extremely slow in the RV up and down the steep hills.

Renee Arianna said...

Soooo much fun!! Tioga Pass was closed once we drove through. I think an RV adventure would be so much fun! I'm like y'all though. Zero experience with an RV so it's kinda intimidating!

Post a Comment