The Amish

4.24.2012

If you know me, you know that in the last year, I've become slightly obsessed with the Amish. I read about them, watch documentaries on them, and bug my Mennonite maid with questions about them (which I think annoys her, because she isn't Amish. She is in fact Mennonite. . . but that's close enough, right?)  You also know that I could sit and watch adoption videos for hours. After watching my friend Amy's adoption video (for the 15th time. . . and still crying), I decided to watch some of her follower's videos as well. One blog linked to the next, and before you know it, I arrive upon a book review of "Almost Amish." How I got here, I still don't know, but it captivated me and 10 minutes later, I'm on Amazon ordering the book (Impulse buying. . . totally in Amish style, right?)

I'm halfway through the book now, and I cannot put it down. O my goodness! It's so good. I've always wondered why I'm so fascinated with the Amish, but after reading, I realize, it's a desire to live a more simple life. We get so caught up in life with what the world tells us to wear, buy, drive, live in, eat, and SO much more. Why?  Why not a more simple life? Why must we have granite countertops and heated cup holders in our car?  Does the food we prepare for our family really taste better if we have those countertops, and do we not own enough mugs to keep our coffee hot on our 5 minute drive to the gym? And we really pay to go sweat when a little hard work outside would do us good, and benefit our family as well. It's so strange how we get caught up, and if anyone is victim to this, it's me! Example: Yesterday after reading the chapter about finances and purchasing things you only NEED, I just had to have a new pair of shoes. I guess one of the 78 pair in my closet just wouldn't work.

This may not be your thing at all, and you may be sitting at your computer screen laughing at me now. Really? Heather! You are the most materialistic person I know! Good luck surviving without your 78 pair of shoes, 13 pair of jeans, 2 closets, SUV, and 23 kitchen appliances. Well, don't worry. I'm not going Amish tomorrow or anything. You want see me at church with my prayer cap on or without makeup anytime soon. . . . or ever, for that matter.

The book is written by a woman who's husband was a successful physician. They had it all. Beautiful home, sail boat, kids in top of the line school, and money was no object. After several tragedies, they began searching for something more. Long story short, husband brings home Gideon Bible from work, they read, they believe. Then they decide they are going to stop worshiping things, and they do some major downsizing. People are curious about their lifestyle and ask if they are Amish? Of course she isn't Amish, she drives a Prius, wears make-up, has a cute hairstyle, they have electricity, and she still likes nice things; however, they believe in quality, nature, debt-free lifestyle, simplicity, service, and they are dedicated to their faith. A lot like the Amish; however they have their differences. . . ok, a lot. No horse and buggy, prayer cap, beards, etc. So she writes this book to explain their lifestyle.

I'll share more later when I finish the book. For now, I think I may start with cleaning out a few closets and our attic (key the scary music). Whew! It's a wreck. I think everything from my childhood & every piece of junk leftover from the dreaded med-school apartment is lingering up there. I'm going to try to use the motto, if we don't need it and someone else can use it, it goes! I'll let you know how that turns out.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Smiling and laughing that this fascinates you. Love it! You are precious. Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Smiling and laughing that this fascinates you. Love it! You are precious. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment